Tanja and I have finished putting the girls to bed, and I felt bad that we have continued our trend of publishing fewer blog posts each year. I decided that tonight was our last opportunity of the year to get a post up, so I'm taking advantage (plus it helps me stay awake).
We had a good Christmas at our house. Last year, Christmas took a couple days as Karina and Lydia wanted to play with each toy for a while when they opened it. This year, we managed to get through all the presents in one day. I guess Karina was more excited to open the gifts and see what she had instead of playing with each new thing first. I suppose that's OK, but I kind of liked the magic of Christmas morning lasting a couple days last year. Oh well, part of growing up.
This Princess Sofia dress and the amulet necklace that goes with it were a big hit, and Karina has already told me that she is going to wear this dress for Halloween this next year.
This cash register has also caused plenty of excitement as the girls love anything with buttons to push. At some point, we will get more serious about teaching them the value of each coin and dollar bill, but until then, they will continue ringing up purchases at exorbitant prices as they keep hitting buttons.
And of course, no Christmas season is complete without a chance to play together in a big box. You have to love the simple pleasures of life, I guess.
Karina wanted to get a picture sitting with Snoopy and Robbie.
Then Lydia was all too happy to come and join in.
There are times when we, as parents, just have to look at some of our daughters' antics and ask "What on earth?" while simultaneously rushing to grab the camera to document the absurdity. This next picture was one of those times. Karina was just relaxing on the floor laying face down when Lydia came over and stood on her back to reach the coffee table. Instead of shouting at her, pushing her away, or whatever other natural reaction I would have done if Lydia had done that to a three-year old version of me, Karina thought it was so funny, and insisted that Lydia do it again and again. I suppose that just means that I was much more vindictive as a three-year-old than Karina. I don't understand why Karina thought this was so great, but it makes for a funny picture and story for the blog.
And here I am getting some exercise doing curls with Lydia as my weights. She and Karina love it when I do this to them.
For New Year's Eve, we went to the traditional "Noon Year's Eve" party at the library where they ring in 12 noon on December 31 with silliness and fun for the kids. We all enjoyed making some confetti poppers out of balloons and toilet paper rolls, dancing at the party, playing with bubbles and balloons. The only complaint (and it was a big one according to Karina) was that they didn't have any apple juice for a toast like they did last year. We promised her some sparkling juice when we got home, and once she had it in hand, she was OK.
It's been a good year for us, and we feel blessed. We're looking forward to the adventures of the new year coming up, and hopefully we will be able to publish more posts to keep family and friends up to date on our family.
- Nate and Tanja










No comments:
Post a Comment