Wednesday, April 22, 2015

April Birthdays & Cherry Blossom Festival

April is here, spring has arrived, and we are doing what we can to enjoy it. Tanja had her birthday a few weeks ago and we took advantage of a beautiful day to go to Patapsco State Park and take a nice walk/hike along the river. I skipped a few rocks on the river and the girls loved seeing the splashes that the rocks made, so they started throwing rocks too. Karina got the hang of it, Lydia's technique was mostly walk into the water, get wet, and drop the rock before picking it up again. Here's Karina showing off her arm.


Lydia has started walking a little better after having her cast removed. During the walk at Patapsco, she was still dragging her leg around, but she is getting a lot better now. Time heals all wounds I guess. Here she is being cautious navigating the roots of all the trees at the park.


Above us in the background, you can see where the train tracks go through the park. Another highlight of the walk was when the train came through, blowing the horn and chugging along - the girls were both very entertained.


Tanja made herself a delicious birthday cake. Happy Birthday, Tanja!


We made our annual pilgrimage down to DC for the cherry blossoms during one of my days off. Because of a long winter, they bloomed later than normal this year. The girls both loved all the airplanes (Reagan National Airport is nearby and has flight paths that go over the Jefferson Memorial where many of the cherry blossoms are) and the many helicopters flying overhead.


Lydia wasn't in a particularly good mood that day, which was unfortunate since I didn't get to take any pictures of her or Karina laughing as I tossed them into the air like we have done previous years. I thought a lot of the pictures with her screaming were kind of funny. Tanja said I could include one of them on the blog, so here is my choice. Hopefully she will laugh at them when she is older...


Here are some more pictures from the day (Lydia settled down and I think she did enjoy herself most of the time). Karina was a good sport for almost the whole day.




See, I told you Lydia had at least a little fun! She was jumping and dancing during this picture (precariously perched above the Potomac, but what are you going to do?).


Karina is in the middle of a huge bite of roll in this picture...oh well, I guess it counts as a smile...



Karina and I like being silly together for the camera.




Karina modeling her pretty flower dress among the pretty cherry blossoms. She's the real Cherry Blossom Princess.



Tanja tried to get the girls to pose with her at George Mason park in front of the magnolia trees and whatever these pretty yellow flowered bushes are, but they were too tired at that point. Snoopy was an acceptable, if not entirely willing, alternative.


Of course, Karina decided maybe she did want to be in the picture after all, though she insisted on hiding "Where's Waldo" style.


Lydia, Snoopy, and I at the Jefferson Memorial steps.


One of the nice things about the Cherry Blossom Festival is all the people there that we can ask to take our picture for a family shot. Many of them, judging by the camera equipment they are lugging around, are likely decent amateur or professional photographers in their own right. However, when they start fooling around with the settings on our camera like it was theirs, I get a little nervous. Perhaps we are strange, but we like having the flash always on, whether it whites us out or not. We don't usually like having full body pictures either (something else that one of the photographers insisted on doing). Oh well, we got a few family pictures and you can't argue with the price. At some point, we might end up with one where everyone is smiling, looking at the camera, etc.




Taking a selfie with an SLR camera is a little awkward, but here I am with the woman I love.


Our girls back at home:


I took the girls outside one day while Tanja was running some errands. Karina insisted I take a picture of her with one of the "flowers", really a weed, that she picked.


The flowers Lydia found were more interesting, I think.


In this month of birthdays, it was Karina's turn next. She has been so excited to turn four, and has declared that 4 is her new favorite number (it used to be 3). Her requested activities were going to the playground, eating at Chick-fil-a, having the "yummy red cake from Costco", and opening her presents. I'm glad we were in a position to provide her all of that this year.




It took her several tries to blow out her four candles. Happy Birthday, Karina!

No comments:

Post a Comment