The weeks keep flying by and I know it won't be long until Karina starts kindergarten and Lydia starts preschool. They are both nervous. For now the kids and I are enjoying summer vacation and our mini excursions.
In the last blog post, there was a picture of Derek in his jumperoo for the first time. but now he actually smiles in it and bounces like crazy, during the times he will let me put him in it. During the day he rarely lets me put him down at all. I mostly just carry him every waking minute, but occasionally he will give me a break and the jumperoo can be fun. Derek is definitely a Mommy's boy - if Nate is holding him he often shrieks inconsolably, but calms down with sighs of relief when he is back in my arms. I tell Nate not to take it personally, as Derek knows who he gets milk from.
Karina and Lydia wanted to get in the jumperoo too one day, and I let them try it out being silly babies:
During one of Derek's naps, we were able to pull out the paints and the girls had fun creating artwork. You can't see it in this picture, but Lydia has become quite the artist. She writes several letters clearly: L, K, O, F, I, and she is good at drawing people, grass, rainbows, and the sun.
I was impressed that they managed to make a Lego tower that was taller than Karina without it falling down. It has also been awhile since Karina looked so much taller than Lydia in a picture. The last few months Lydia has eaten little compared to half a year ago and Karina has been scarfing down food, so I assume Karina has had a growth spurt.
The talented chef Lydia ready to create something yummy:
Karina is quite the comedian for Derek, smiling, dancing, and singing for him. She is rewarded with the cutest giggles and laughs from her baby brother. He really likes her.
One morning Lydia wanted to dress up like a firefighter and Karina was going around photographing everything in sight, including Lydia of course, and I captured their photography session on my camera.
I'm not sure Derek knows what to think of Karina being a horse for him:
The sprinkler was great while we had days of 100 plus high humidity:
One afternoon we assembled "the White House", from a shortbread kit. Karina and Lydia had fun assembling it, but decorating was definitely their favorite, while trying to sneak candy when I wasn't looking.
My little guy is now 5 months old! His second tooth still has not arrived, but I keep thinking that today is the day it will break through, as the tooth is sticking out a ton, and just barely hidden under the gum.
Derek is an expert at rolling from back to tummy, and flips the second you put him down. He started rolling that way the day before he turned 4 months, and does it right away when given the chance. Also, while 3 months old, but a couple weeks earlier than the other way, he rolled from tummy to back. He needs more practice rolling from front/tummy to back though. That is supposed to be the easier way to roll, so I'm not sure why he thinks he needs help when he rolls the more difficult way all the time.
Derek looks like he is ready to sit up independently here. I was worried about him falling off the couch:
Group shots with three happy kids:
Giggle time with Daddy is fun. Nate was holding him up with Derek trying hard to stand up on his own, with Nate just for balance. Nate would do sit ups and then blow on Derek's tummy when he came up to make Derek laugh.
Nate, Karina, and Lydia went camping last night. In preparation, Karina and Lydia hung out in their mini-tent. You can see their faces a little through the mesh. I put Derek down so I could take a picture, and he immediately rolled onto his tummy. He is starting to lift his chest pretty far off the ground. I suppose it won't be long until he is off crawling.
Below are the excited campers ready to begin their fun night camping in our backyard. They played fairies in the yard and hunted butterflies before reading camping books and hopefully sleeping some. When Lydia needed to come into the house at 1:30am to go potty, she decided she just wanted to sleep in her own bed upstairs the rest of the night.
The view of the tent from our deck:
Derek and I did not camp as we figured babies and camping would be a nightmare combination. He, as usual, just wanted to be held all night while sleeping, and woke up furious nearly every time I tried to transfer him to his crib.






























No comments:
Post a Comment