The kids liked it so much that we came back the next week too.
I think the roots of the trees along the bank make for an interesting backdrop.
Derek and Lydia threw sticks into the creek so we could watch them float downstream.
Derek and Lydia have become much closer recently. I have no idea whether it is related to the extra time we have been spending together in quarantine, but they play well together most of the time. Derek can often be convinced to do something if he is shown that Lydia is doing it.
One day, in a combination art/science class at home school, the kids made their own coronavirus with clementines and cloves.
Derek was thrilled he got to participate too.
Lydia commented that if "real" coronaviruses were the size of her model, it would be much easier to avoid them and stay healthy. I thought that was a very observant remark.
The kids also enjoyed painting rocks one afternoon for art.
Karina celebrated her 9th birthday. I felt bad for her that we couldn't invite friends over so she could have a party like she would have under normal circumstances. She wound up having a good birthday, and Orly (her best friend) dropped a present off at our doorstep and the two were able to talk on the porch for a few minutes.
I'm not sure whether Karina or Derek was the most excited for her birthday. Derek woke up bright and early and went to Karina's room to tell her in a very loud voice that it was her birthday. I think he was excited to open presents (until he realized that he wasn't getting any).
These collages that Tanja, Lydia, and Derek made for her were very intricate and turned out very well.
Karina was thrilled with her year's supply of Trident gum.
Her birthday dinner consisted of Papa John's pizza (she's a big fan of the garlic sauce to dip crusts in), and ice cream sundaes for dessert. We were out of ice cream, so I picked some up at the store when I picked up the pizza, except the ice cream aisle in the store was nearly empty. I had no idea ice cream was a commodity that was hoarded like toilet paper in these difficult times, but on this day in that store, that was the case. It worked out as the flavors and brands selected were a hit.
We had Karina try on the clothes she got for her birthday to see how they fit. Of course, Derek wanted to be the center of attention as well and see if they fit him.
Our silly princess of a son!
Springtime brings cherry blossoms and the kids love tossing these extra puffy kwanzan cherry blossoms up in the air after they are blown off trees in our neighborhood.
Derek had to trace different shapes on paper and then cut them out for one of his school assignments. We had fun laying out the blocks and then trying to match the shapes with the cut outs.
When I was mowing the lawn, Lydia came out and asked if she could help. I invited her to change into some work clothes and help me push, thinking she would tire of it quickly. She surprised me by really enjoying it and we mowed the last half or so of our backyard together. We'll see if she still thinks it is fun by the time she is old enough to do it alone, and if so, I wouldn't mind relinquishing that role to her for a while.

























No comments:
Post a Comment