Thursday, August 25, 2011

Four Month Stats

I just came back from Karina's 4 month check up and managed to get her to fall asleep for a nap within 5 minutes of arriving home :-). Karina is now 12 lbs 14 oz, which puts her in the 25th percentile for weight. She used to be in the 10-25 percentile range, though I don't know what end of the range. I had been hoping she would cross the 13 pound threshold, but the doctor seemed quite pleased with her weight gain of over 3 pounds in two months, so that's good. Also, Karina is 25 inches long, or the 75th percentile for height. She's been in that height percentile since birth. Lastly, her head circumference is 43 cm (measured twice) or the 90th percentile. Her head seems to have had a growth spurt as she used to consistently be in the 75th percentile. Dr. Sims says it is probably just a normal growth spurt, but to be sure, Karina has to come back in a month for another measurement check-up to make sure her head isn't growing too much. I like to think it is just because she is so smart! Other than that, Karina braved two shots and swallowed a liquid vaccine. She was brave and calmed down quickly after the shots when I picked her up.

Another exciting milestone was reached on Tuesday, the day after her 4 month birthday: Karina rolled over from back to tummy. Not many babies her age can do that, so we are happy she is getting so strong. Then a few minutes later she flipped back from her tummy to her back! Now she can roll both ways!

It is always fun to kiss Karina on her cheeks because she loves it. She breaks out in smiles and often starts laughing. She thinks it is the greatest thing ever. Daddy had fun making the princess smile:



Karina also seems to think she is a monkey. She had her arms and legs wrapped around Nate's arms, and was happy to have a finger in her mouth. Life is good for little girls:


Yesterday I got quite a scare when the whole house started shaking. For the first second or two I thought the adjacent neighbors were moving something really big, but then the shaking got much worse and the whole house was wobbling. It felt like the house would collapse if it kept up. It didn't occur to me that it was an earthquake, I just thought the house was falling apart at the foundation. I ran into the living room to pick up Karina and get outside with her and Snoopy. Poor Snoopy was running around the house with his tail between his legs looking terrified. When I got outside it seemed like everyone on the street who was home had also run outside. At that point, I realized that it wasn't just our house that had been shaking, but everyone's, and only then did I realize that it must have been an earthquake. A later run through of the house found that a metronome, a table lamp, some cans of food in the pantry, and some eye cream in a bathroom cabinet had all fallen down. Other than that, no damage. Nate was apparently walking outside on his way to a meeting when the earthquake occurred. All he noticed was an SUV shaking. In my opinion, he didn't get the full earthquake experience. Now we are awaiting Hurricane Irene. I'm not worried about it though in our area, as we'll probably just get heavy thunderstorms. Mostly I'm just concerned about our gazebo on the deck.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering how the earthquake experience was for you guys... and now the hurricane to top it all off. Stay safe and keep my cute little niece safe too! I love the picture of Nate kissing her cheeks! Too cute.

    ReplyDelete