Saturday, September 24, 2011

Another Day of Adventure

Today we went to a consignment sale put on by our community's Mom's Club. Basically, all the mothers bring items their kids/babies have outgrown and try to pawn it off on other moms. We succumbed to the call of a fence to protect Karina from falling down the stairs when she gets more mobile, a soft white cardigan style sweater in size 12 months, and a Bumbo. I'll admit, before becoming an uncle, I had never heard of Bumbos. After becoming an uncle, I had heard of Bumbos from my sister, but didn't know what they were. After hearing what they were, I didn't care enough to commit the definition to my long term memory. But after seeing Karina sitting in one, I know exactly what a Bumbo is - it's a throne that the Princess can sit in to rule her kingdom and demand loyalty and obedience from her subjects! Karina's throne just happens to be golden!


I think she'll like sitting in this and being part of things when we go to the kitchen for dinner and things.

After the consignment sale, we went to the National Museum of Crime and Punishment in DC. Neither of us had ever been, but the Smithsonian Institution was holding an event for all affiliate museums (such as the Crime and Punishment), so we got to go for free instead of the normal $18 online ticket price ($20 at the gate). This museum contains exhibits on everything crime and punishment related from Medieval times through piracy, American colonies, Prohibition, to the O.J. Simpson murder trial and the Natalee Holloway case. It was divided into three floors - the top floor was the most interesting where they had all the exhibits on criminals, punishment, etc. through history. At the end of this top floor was a simulated police academy. Tanja outshot me in weapons training, which was a little embarrassing. I impressed her by being able to do four pull-ups though in fitness training. The main floor was devoted to CSI/forensics and that was kind of cool. The basement contains the America's Most Wanted studio and had various exhibits relating to the television show.

I personally found the museum interesting, but the text in the exhibits was more interesting than the few artifacts that they had. So that was a little disappointing; I felt that I could have gotten as much enjoyment if I were surfing Wikipedia on crime related topics. Also, for some of the time periods and places they talked about in the exhibits, we had been to designated museums for that topic before. For instance, we had been to Salem, MA and visited museums about the witches, we went to the Crime and Punishment Museum in Germany to see all the Medieval torture devices they only had pictures of, etc. Oh well, I'm glad we went, but I wouldn't recommend paying full price.

Here's Tanja and Karina at the America's Most Wanted studio:


I had fun playing in a jail cell exhibit.


Fortunately, a previous inmate had dug an escape hole in the cell that the warden had not yet discovered.


And since this post was light on Karina pictures, here's one of her in her swing wearing her footie pajama sleepers. It has started cooling off at night, so we are breaking out the sleepers and she seems to enjoy being cozy in them. The swing is no longer useful for sleeping as she squirms around too much and is in danger of falling out. But we have put her in the swing to be entertained a few times with the toys that come with it.

1 comment:

  1. The bumbo is a lifesaver in the kitchen. You will love it. Get a snap on tray to go with it so she can play with toys and food too. She looks like she is happy sitting in it. As always she is adorable

    Grandma Webber

    ReplyDelete