Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nate's Fashion Sense

Interesting news for us of late is that Karina had her 5 month pediatrician appointment yesterday and all of Nate's splurge items for Karina have now been purchased.

For months (literally) Nate has been pestering me about when he could get Karina a VAMPIRE pacifier. Yes, that's right. At least once per week he would ask me when he could order stuff from ThinkGeek.com for her, including the vampire pacifier. I'm stingy enough that I wouldn't let him order anything until a $10 off $40 online coupon came along, which seemingly only happens a couple times per year and Nate was getting very anxious waiting for his precious items. I was determined to get the best deal possible on extremely overpriced products. I would often find him on the computer browsing his coveted items: a baby shirt that says 'Newbie', another baby shirt that says '010100110100010101011000' (spelling 'kid' in binary), and a ridiculous vampire pacifier. I tried to persuade him out of the vampire pacifier to no avail. Luckily Karina has tried the pacifier and doesn't like it!! Here is Nate's $5 picture though:


I'm pretty sure he is still holding out for a better photo of her with it. Meanwhile, I am considering accidentally misplacing the pacifier somewhere.

Here are pictures of Karina's new shirts:



Since we were already spending so much on Karina's two geek shirts, I convinced Nate to get a matching binary dad shirt to go with her binary kid one. Then on top of Nate obsessing over Karina getting clothing items to tell the world she is a geek, he has also been extremely adamant that she get a camo outfit that we saw in a store once in passing. It consists of a camo tutu, green military jacket, and top with camo embellishments on it. Here is a picture of the tutu, shirt, and jacket.




Nate was so excited about this outfit, that he was ready to pay full price for it in the store to make sure Karina got it. Again, I am too stingy for that, and so he has been obsessing over that as well, frequently checking online prices and has even sent me to the store just to see if it was on sale yet. I wanted to wait for a better sale, but he was insistent we had to buy it right then because he didn't want to miss out. Finally he has gotten his complete camo outfit for her and seems quite pleased that Karina will now be cute next year (none of the clothes fit her yet) in geek clothing and in camo.

Considering that Nate basically never spends money for clothing on himself unless you force him to, it was so odd to hear him obsessing about Karina's clothes and wanting to make sure she had the right outfits at all costs. He was like a kid in a car: "When can I order from ThinkGeek?", "How much longer do I have to wait to order?", "When can I get her her geek shirts?", "I want the vampire pacifier!", "She needs to have camo", "She has to have that skirt", etc, etc. Nate's behavior during this whole episode has been very cute and endearing.

Moving on to the other subject. Yesterday, I had to take Karina to a 5 month check up because her head had grown a lot at the last appointment jumping from the 75th to the 95th percentile. We never really thought anything of it and weren't worried about it, and her measurement yesterday confirmed her head is perfectly fine (it hadn't grown, which the doctor seemed very happy about). Karina weighed 13 pounds 11 ounces (25th percentile) and was 25.5 inches long (75th percentile), and her head circumference was 17 inches (I don't remember if this was the 75th or 90th percentile). The doctor seemed pleased with everything. I wish she would gain a little more weight and fill in, but she is gaining weight consistently enough, so I guess it is all fine.

Her new sleep routine is going better. She no longer uses the swaddle and we have started using this sleeping sack. I love her big grin!


Her new nighttime routine is to take a bath, which she now loves, spending the entire time kicking up a storm, splashing around, followed by a final meal and then Mommy and Daddy sitting with her next to her crib, holding her hands and legs, with a finger in her mouth, until she falls asleep. It's quite an ordeal and our limbs frequently fall asleep before she does.

2 comments:

  1. Please don't get rid of the vampire paci!! Hysterical!! I also like these ones http://www.etsy.com/listing/82630000/red-lips-pacifier?ref=sr_gallery_1&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=lips+pacifiers&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

    http://www.etsy.com/listing/82398755/kissy-face-hand-painted-custom-pacifier?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=lips+pacifiers&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_ship_to=US&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

    Maybe another option if Nate is willing to let her be a little more girly while still being goofy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, I can't believe Nate is so into his daughters wardrobe and willing to pay full price! Love the detailed description, keep the posts coming.

    Grandma Webber

    ReplyDelete