Thursday, December 2, 2010

It's a girl!!

This morning Nate and I went in for my fetal anatomy screening, which was my 3rd baby ultrasound in the past several months, and we found out some exciting news! We are having a girl!! The technician said for legal reasons she is not allowed to say she is 100% sure, so instead she said she is 99.99% sure-- that is certainly sure enough for me. It was so hard trying to buy baby stuff before because there seems to be so few gender neutral items (especially clothes). Now we are ready for pretty pink!

The purpose of the ultrasound today was to examine all the baby's parts to make sure everything is ok. Most of the pictures taken were of zoomed in features on the baby like it's kidneys, bladder, heart, several angles of the spinal cord, femur bones, a view to see if there was a cleft palette, etc. The technician said she didn't get a few of the pictures they are supposed to take for this screening (because the baby was uncooperative in moving around to good viewing angles), so I will likely have to go back in a couple weeks for yet another ultrasound. I really don't see why I would need 4+ ultrasounds in one pregnancy when they have never found anything wrong with the baby. I have very cautious doctors apparently.

This first picture is the easiest to decipher - it's the baby's head, torso, and hand. I assume the thumb is tucked behind somewhere.


Here is the baby's head in profile. At one point we saw the baby's mouth opening and closing as she was drinking amniotic fluid!


This next picture is from a 3D image that was taken. If you look carefully you will see the baby's ear in the left of the picture, and the baby's arm is reaching up over the head. The profile of the face is visible toward the right/center side of the image.


Another head profile picture:


I really don't know what this next picture is of, though I assume it is the head and torso.


Next up for us: think of a baby name!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! We are excited to finally have a niece! I am sure you will come up with a perfect name for her.

    ReplyDelete