Sunday, April 1, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me

I celebrated a birthday a few days ago. I feel old, but Karina keeps me young as I experience the world through her eyes. Tanja baked one of her tasty carrot cakes. Squeezing the decorating frosting out of the tubes was a bit of a challenge for her, so I was called upon to try to decorate my own cake. It was hard, but I don't think it turned out too badly (although I don't believe I have a future as a cake decorator).


As it so happened, on my birthday, we were going out for lunch at work because a coworker was taking a new position, so we were taking him out to say goodbye. I told my supervisor that date was actually my birthday, and he thought that was great. The day of the luncheon, as he was sitting at the table recounting all the exploits of our coworker he remembered that it was my birthday. Then he exclaimed, "Oh, and today is Nate's birthday! Excuse me, waitress! We have a birthday boy over here!" I laughed and nodded as she looked over at me unsure if it was really my birthday.

The lunch was at Chevy's, a Tex-Mex chain, and for birthdays or other special occasions, they come out singing with a sombrero and a scoop of ice cream for the guest of honor. It took a couple of tries to get all the staff together to sing (we kept noticing one or two staff clapping and trying to get everyone together). But eventually they came out to us. I didn't get a picture at the restaurant, but here I am with my sombrero back at home (my second sombrero from there).


Although, I think the silliness of the lunch was eclipsed by the silliness of trying to get the sombrero on Karina long enough to take a picture. Here's the best one we took - I think she looks cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment