Friday, May 20, 2011

Trying to Grow Up Big & Strong

We took Karina in for her four week pediatrician's appointment yesterday. We are happy to report that we are the proud parents of an eight-pound zero-ounce 22-inch string bean. She might start moving away from her newborn-size clothes this week. We were a little concerned about how much Karina spits up, so the doctor gave us some ideas to try before we even consider putting her on some medication. Keep in mind I was dancing with her in the corner of the exam room while she was screaming at the top of her surprisingly powerful lungs while Tanja and the doctor had this discussion. I'm pretty sure the doctor suggested one of the following:

a) Keep her upright for a half-hour after feeding
b) Transform into a Hoover Upright for breeding
c) Check out the lights to see if she's still breathing

When we got back, Tanja informed me that the actual advice was option a, so I have been holding her against my shoulder while her face contorts into the dazed satisfaction that only comes after eating three Thanksgiving feasts in the span of an hour (with a brief detour to deal with the messy diaper). I think we are going to end up with very buff arms from holding her.

We also have been trying to get her to take naps during the day. She sleeps pretty well at night, so I guess we are ahead of the game there, but Karina doesn't do well napping during the day and her crankiness can show. However, we did succeed in getting a couple excellent naps out of her yesterday and have the pictures to prove it. So since pictures are the main reason some of our readership visits this blog, here is the evidence: ;-)

One of her favorite napping positions is incapacitating me by lying on my chest while I jiggle and shush her.


Notice how chubby her little tummy is getting:


If we're lucky, we can get her to stay asleep on her soft baby quilt that my mom made for her:

1 comment:

  1. Eight pounds...what a tiny little thing! Good luck with the napping! She is probably so used to hanging out and being snuggled that she doesn't want to miss anything during a nap!

    ReplyDelete