Here's a picture of me and our little girl. See if you can understand our costumes.

Get it? I'm a chick magnet! Karina is one of my chicks! Tanja had found my costume two years ago on sale after Halloween. Then we found Karina's at Children's Place, decided it was a good match for mine, and waited for it to come on sale. And just so you know, the wig is not a woman's wig - I figured a chick magnet like me deserved to have long luxurious locks of hair, so we repurposed a 70s Guy wig for my purposes. I secretly suspect Tanja planned my costume so that I would be the one carrying her all night. Oh well, she is cute and worth it.

Tanja's costume is a gypsy princess (at least that's what I decided to call it). We went to Whole Foods, and then to a local park. Whole Foods was somewhat disappointing since their treats they were giving out were perhaps a little too healthy tasting. The cookie tasted a little strange, but I will say I did enjoy the apple they gave us. The park had several tents set up sponsored by local merchants. The merchants passed out candy and fliers advertising their business to all the kids (the fliers were obviously targeting the parents). We didn't feel too badly going there instead of knocking on doors since the merchants were obviously there for the parents. We couldn't help but notice how much attention Karina was attracting. Everyone there would gasp, coo, or shriek, then point to Karina while saying to their friends, "Look at the little pollito! Que preciosa!" (Look at the little chick! How cute!) If there were a costume contest, I think Karina would have won hands down, and I am not just saying that because I'm her dad. Several of the merchants gave us more candy than they were giving the bigger kids, just because she was so cute. One merchant decided she needed to pull out her cell phone camera and take a picture of her. I'm telling you, she was that cute. The only problem - the majority of people assumed she was a boy. I guess baby girls aren't allowed to dress up as anything other than princesses for Halloween.
Unfortunately, we didn't think about how bulky the costume was and she was not at all comfortable in her car seat. She would scream every time we put her in there. Fortunately, she was instantly in a better mood once she got out and into my arms.


Today, we went to Coral Castle, a rock garden made from Miami coral limestone. The history goes that a 5 foot 100 pound immigrant from Latvia came here and built the garden from limestone sections that weighed upwards of 20 tons to impress his ex who had left him standing at the altar. It didn't work. His work is still available to those who want to marvel at his engineering prowess. He was able to do all his sculptures alone and during the night. There were some interesting astronomical features as well, including a sundial that tracked the sun through the seasons, a tower with cross hairs that tracked the North Star, and three reclining limestone lounge chairs that were angled away from the sun during morning, noon, and evening. Here are Tanja, Mormor, and Karina in the lounge chairs.

Here are Tanja and Karina in front of a crescent moon sculpture with a pretty blossom backdrop.

Karina enjoyed herself.

We've enjoyed being here and getting to relax. Karina and Snoopy have discovered the most comfy spot on the rug.

Morfar has been quite excited to have Karina around and they have had a lot of fun together.
The chick costume is adorable and either gender could wear it. The best part is trick or treating in shorts and t-shirts. We got to battle cold and wind Idaho style.
ReplyDeleteGrandma
Your costumes are hysterical. I had to do a double take at Tanja with black hair!
ReplyDelete